This article will show you how to backup your OneDrive files.
Access to your University OneDrive account after you leave
After you leave the University you will no longer be able to access your University OneDrive account. If you want to take your files with you, you must make a backup before your IT account is deactivated.
There are two ways to backup your OneDrive files:
- Using a web browser - the quickest and easiest way if you only want to keep a handful of files.
- Using the OneDrive Sync client - more suitable for if you want to keep many or all of your files.
Using a web browser
- Go to https://office365.essex.ac.uk/onedrive and sign in with your Essex ID and password.
- Place a tick next to the file you want to download, and then click More → Download.
- When prompted, choose to Save the file to your computer. From here you can then copy it to a USB drive or email it to yourself to create a backup.
- Repeat these steps for any other files you may want to download.
Using the Sync client
Installing the Sync client
If you haven’t already installed the OneDrive Sync client, follow the Microsoft installation guide until you see the 'Welcome to OneDrive' screen before continuing below. Please note, the current Microsoft installation process is complicated so may not be suitable for all users. Microsoft are planning to have simplified this by March 2016.
- Once installed, open OneDrive and click Sign In, and then enter your Essex ID and password.
- Click Next to confirm you're happy with the default OneDrive folder location.
- Click Next to confirm you want to download everything in your OneDrive.
- Wait a few moments whilst the sync is set up, and then click Open my OneDrive to complete the process.
- Depending on the number and size of your files in your OneDrive, it may take some for all of you're files to download. Once the sync is finished, you will see an Up to date message appear when you hover over the OneDrive icon in the system tray.
- Once you're happy your OneDrive client is up to date, you can then copy its contents to a USB drive to create a backup.
OneDrive for Mac Sync Client
An updated Sync client for Mac will be available April - June 2016. Fow now, please use a Windows computer to backup your OneDrive instead.