How to connect a Windows 7 computer to eduroam wi-fi.
Try the automatic set up instructions first as they're quicker and easier to complete, and should work for most devices. However some devices may need to use the manual set up instructions.
Automatic set up
- Click on the wireless icon in the system tray (bottom right).
- Click eduroam, and then click Connect.
- Enter your Essex ID and password, and then click OK.
- If an alert appears warning you: 'The connection attempt could not be completed', ignore it and click Connect.
- You should now be connected to eduroam.
Manual set up
- Right-click on the wireless icon in the system tray (bottom right), and then click Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Manage wireless networks.
- Click Add.
- Click Manually create a network profile.
- For Network name, enter eduroam.
- For Security type, enter WPA2-Enterprise.
- For Encryption type, enter AES.
- Click Next.
- Click Change connection settings.
- Ensure there is a tick next to Connect automatically when this network is in range.
- Click the Security tab.
- Ensure that the network authentication method is set to Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP), and that there is a tick next to Remember my credentials for this connection each time I'm logged on.
- Click Settings.
- Ensure there is a tick next to the following:
- Validate server certificate.
- QuoVadis Root CA 2.
- Enable Fast Reconnect.
- Ensure that Authentication Method is set to Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2).
- Click Configure.
- Uncheck Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any).
- Click OK twice.
- Click Close.
At this point your computer may automatically try and connect to eduroam. If it does, you'll prompted for your credentials. Enter your Essex ID and password, and then click OK. Otherwise proceed to the next step.
- Now that you're back on the desktop, click the wireless icon in the system tray (bottom right).
- Find eduroam and click Connect.
- You'll be prompted for your user credentials. Enter your Essex ID and password. Click OK.
- You should now be connected to eduroam wi-fi.