How to access a Role Mailbox
This guide was written for Outlook 2010 but should work with other versions of Outlook.
- Open Outlook, and then click File → Info → Add Account
- In the E-mail Address box enter the email address of the Role Mailbox you want to access. Leave everything else blank, and then click Next.
- Outlook will now search for the Role Mailbox. This may take a few minutes.
- Eventually a Windows Security popup will appear asking for credentials. If you have the option click Use another account.
If you don't see this option, delete the username from the top box instead.
- Enter your Essex ID and password. Do not enter the email address of the Role Mailbox. Tick Remember my credentials, and then click OK. You may need to enter your credentials twice.
- Now wait for three green ticks, and then click Finish.
- You will be asked to restart Outlook. Click OK, and then close Outlook.
- Now open Outlook again.
- You may be asked for a final time to enter your credentials. The email address box may be prefilled with the Role Mailbox email address, change this to your own Essex ID, and then enter your password. Tick Remember my credentials, and then click OK.
- You should now be able to see the Role Mailbox in the navigation pane next to your own mailbox.
How to remove a Role Mailbox
- Open Outlook, right-click the Role Mailbox and click Remove.
- Go to https://email.essex.ac.uk and sign in with your Essex ID and password.
- Once you're signed in, click the silhouette/your picture icon (top right), and select Open another mailbox.
- Enter the name of Role Mailbox you'd like to access , and then click Search Directory.
- Wait for the Role Mailbox to be found, and then click Open.
- You should now be able to see the Role Mailbox.
If you sign out of Webmail or close your web browser, you will be disconnected from the Role Mailbox. You must repeat the steps above each time you want to access it.
This guide was written for Outlook 2016 but should work with other versions of Outlook.
- Open Outlook, and then click Outlook → Preferences.
- Click Accounts.
- Click the add icon (bottom-left of your active window), and then click Exchange.
- Enter the email address of the Role Mailbox you want to access, and then enter your own Essex ID and password. Ensure Configure automatically is checked, and then click Add Account.
- A popup will appear. Tick Always use my response for this server, and then click Allow.
- Enter a description for the new account, for example Essex Shared, and then close the Accounts window.
- You should now see the Role Mailbox in the left navigation pane.