This article will show you how to export the contents of your University of Essex email account to a single archive file, known as a 'PST' file, which you can take with you when you leave the University.
Please note you cannot export your mail to a .PST file from Webmail.
- Open Outlook 2010 and click File → Open → Import.
- Select Export to a file, and then click Next.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst).
- To export everything from your mailbox ensure you select the folder at the very top of the list, and click Next.
- Click Browse and choose where you'd like to save the archive file, and then click Finish.
- Adding password protection is optional. If you don't want to add a password just leave the boxes empty and click OK. If you do want to password protect the file, enter your chosen password into both boxes first.
- The export will now begin and you should see a progress bar. You cannot use Outlook whilst the export is in progress.
If you want to check that the export has been successful, click File → Open → Open an Outlook data file and select the PST file you just created.