This article will show you how you can add Lynda.com content into your Moodle course.
You can add Lynda.com playlists or courses to Moodle either by using a simple hyperlink or by using LMS integration.
With integration, when you download reports from Lynda, usage data will be generated. A simple hyperlink will not generate data.
Integration requires 3 simple steps:
- In Lynda - create your playlist and make it public
- In Moodle - use the external tool to add your Lynda playlist to your course
- In Lynda - activate the LMS link on your playlist to complete integration
Step 1: Create a new playlist in Lynda and make it public
- Go to www.essex.ac.uk/see/lynda and sign in with your Essex ID and password.
- Click the menu icon in the top right of your Lynda.com screen and then choose Playlists.
- Click Create new playlist.
- Give your new playlist a name and add a description if you wish.
- Add items using the Search box at the bottom of the page - click on the + to add the course to your playlist.
- To make your playlist public, navigate back to your playlist home page by clicking on My playlists in the breadcrumbs...
Then click on Make Public...
Step 2: Use the external tool in Moodle to add your Lynda playlist to your course
- Log in to Moodle, locate your course and then Turn editing on.
- Find the topic/section you wish to add a Lynda.com video to, and click on Add an activity or resource.
- Select External Tool and click on Add.
- Give your activity a name; then choose Automatic, based on tool URL from the Preconfigured tool drop down menu; and add https://www.lynda.com/portal/lti/playlist to the Tool URL. You will see a green tick if you are Using tool configuration correctly.
Tip: Want to link to a Course? Simply replace 'playlist' with the word 'course' in the Tool URL and add the course number eg https://www.lynda.com/portal/lti/course144198. You can find the course number in the URL address bar in your lynda course (see below).
- Click on Show more and in the Launch container, choose New Window...
Then click Save and return to course...
- Scroll to the top and Turn editing off, then click the new link that you've just made - this will take you back to Lynda.
Step 3: Use LMS link in Lynda to complete integration.
- Select your playlist from the left-hand navigation and then click on Link to LMS.
- If the integration is successful, you will see the letters LMS beside your Playlist on the left. To remove link, simply re-click on the LMS link.
- When a student clicks on the link in Moodle, they will be directed straight to the playlist/course:
About these instructions