This article will show you how to join a conference call hosted at the University of Essex using the SIP server system.
Information required to join a conference
In order for you to be able to join an existing conference you will need to know:
- the number to dial
- the conference access code
The person who arranged the conference (the host) should have provided this information to you.
How to join a conference call
If you're calling from off campus (external attendee)
- Dial the full number provided to join the conference call, for example +44 (0)1206 87 1234
- When prompted enter the conference access code followed by the hash symbol (eg, 123456#).
- If successfully connected to the conference you will hear a beep to confirm you have connected to the conference
If you're calling from on campus (internal attendee)
- Dial the four-digit extension number provided to join the conference call (eg, 1234)
- When prompted enter the conference access code followed by the hash symbol (eg, 123456#)
- You will hear a beep to confirm that you have successfully connected to the conference
Once you're connected
From this moment, you should be able to speak to and hear any of the other attendees present in the conference call.
If you are the first person to join the conference then you will hear a message saying that you are the first person in the call. Do not hang up at this point - you will be able to speak to and hear the other attendees once they have connected (you will hear a beep for each attendee who joins the conference).
Leaving the conference
To leave the meeting simply hang up the phone as you would with a regular phone call. If you should need to re-join the conference call, follow the procedure above for joining an existing meeting.