This article will show you how to search the University of Essex Library catalogue (encore) using EndNote Desktop software.
If you're using EndNote Desktop on a university owned machine via the Software Hub, the U Essex.enz connection file will already be included in your connections folder, so you can skip to Step 2.
Step 1: Set up EndNote Desktop (you only need to do this once)
- Open EndNote.
- Download the connection file U Essex.enz (24 KB) and save it to your EndNote Connections folder.
If you installed EndNote using the default settings your connection folder can be found at: Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > EndNote > Connections.
- Now in EndNote, click Edit > Connection files > Open Connection Manager.
- Find U Essex in the list and ensure it is checked. Now close the connections window.
Step 2: Now that you have set up EndNote, you can search the Library catalogue using the Online Search feature within EndNote Desktop
- Open EndNote.
- Make sure your view is either the Globe - Online Search Mode (Temporary Library) or the Globe with books - Integrated Library & Online Search Mode. In the example below, the integrated view is used.
- Click Online Search... (globe with magnifying glass icon), or click more... under Online Search in the left navigation pane.
- Ensure U Essex is selected in the list, and then click Choose.
- To check that you're searching the U Essex library, check that it is highlighted in the left-navigation pane.
- In the Search Remote Library window, type in your search criteria, for example Author, Title or Topic, and then press Enter.
- In the Confirm Online Search pop-up box, set the number of records you want to retrieve, and then click OK.
- Your references will be automatically added to your personal EndNote library, and U Essex library will be added to the Online Search list in the left-navigation pane.
About these instructions
These instructions were created using Windows 7 . Steps may vary depending on your software version and computer model.